Tuesday 25 October 2011

Futures - Introduction

Introduction

This blog will follow my research and development of two chosen themes.  The aim is to research and explore my chosen themes and their effect on our culture and media.  I will be looking at these themes in our present time, as well as the past and future.
My research will hopefully expand far from my original themes and will cover a vast area of knowledge, which I can then interlink and combine to create inventive and creative ideas that I can use to create games or other types of media.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Themes
----------
The Sea
The seven seas cover almost 70% of the earth and over 90% of the vast oceans are still unexplored.  There is so much we don’t know and have yet to discover about the ‘dark depths’.
The sea is very culturally relevant, mainly due to travel, trade, tourism and the damage that these do to the sea.  Thousands of boats and ships leave port every day for journeys of varied lengths, whether it is a trading boat, cargo ship, or cruise ship, all of them cause pollution to the atmosphere and the sea.  The world wouldn’t function the way it does without the sea, but every day that passes, we are further damaging the oceans and their inhabitants, and this damage isn’t reversible.
I will look at the function of the sea in our everyday lives, the damage we cause, and the on-going exploration and discovery of the sea, as well as looking at how we used to use the sea and how we came to rely on it so much.  I will also look at what may lie ahead for the sea and how pollution and global warming may change it.
----------
Transport
Without travel and transportation we would not have civilizations.  Without roads, railways, waterways and pipelines, our lives today would be very different.  Transportation plays a key role in globalization as well as trade and industry growth, but all forms of transport cause pollution and use large amounts of land.
Transportation is very high on our cultural agenda and its importance has brought about many arguments and confusion in governments.  The upkeep of transportation, with new vehicles, boats, and aircraft being built constantly, and the upkeep of roads, railways and ports work together to add up to probably the most expensive and vast industries.
I will again, be looking at the present, past and future of transportation and its effect on our culture.  My research on transportation will work with my other theme to create unique and thorough ideas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mind-Maps
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Next Step

I now plan to search the internet and other media for interesting stories and articles based on my mind-maps above.  I will look at my mind-maps and pick a few single words from each one and mainly research into those, as a way of narrowing my vision, and preventing my research from being too vastly spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment